Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Lullaby


Go to sleep, Mum,

I won’t stop breathing
suddenly, in the night.


Go to sleep, I won’t
climb out of my cot and
tumble downstairs.


Mum, I won’t swallow
the pills the doctor gave you or
put hairpins in electric
sockets, just go to sleep.


I won’t cry
when you take me to school and leave me:
I’ll be happy with other children
my own age.


Sleep, Mum, sleep.
I won’t
fall in the pond, play with matches,
run under a lorry or even consider
sweets from strangers.


No, I won’t
give you a lot of lip,
not like some.


I won’t sniff glue,
fail all my exams,
get myself/
my girlfriend pregnant.
I’ll work hard and get a steady/
really worthwhile job.
I promise, go to sleep.


I'll never forget
to drop in/phone/write
and if
I need any milk, I’ll yell.




- Rosemary Norman


Source: Goodwin, D 2002, 101 Poems That Could Save Your Life: An Anthology of Emotional First Aid, Harper.

No comments:

Post a Comment